First African Methodist Episcopal Church
1522 14th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122
Rev. Dr. Carey G. Anderson, Senior Pastor
Application Packet Guidelines
Completed Application Form. Applications submitted by mail must be typed or handwritten clearly using black ink. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Certificate of Participation. Complete and sign the Certificate of Participation form. Typed or electronic email signature is accepted.
Transcript. Submit a transcript from your high school or college/university. The transcript should show your cumulative GPA.
Recommendations. Request your letter of recommendation describing your character and potential from the following individuals:
High School Counselor or College/University Professor/Administrator, AND
First AME Member
Recommendations should be dated after January 1, 2020, and address how you “exhibit personal conduct worthy of the Lord’s calling.”
Letters accompanying email applications should be sent directly to Vida Sneed at email@example.com.
Note: Recommendations from family members will not be accepted.
5. Essay. Submit an original essay responding to the question on page 5 of this packet.
6. Photo (Required). Please attach/include a photo of yourself in your application packet. If you submit
the application on the website, please email the photo directly to Vida Sneed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed application packets must be received to the committee no later than Friday, June 12, 2020, 5:00 PM. If mailing your application packet to the church, please include all information in the same mailing, and account for delivery time by the postal service. Applications will be accepted by e-mail for the 2020 season. Please send all email applications to Vida Sneed only at email@example.com
First AME Church Scholarship Foundation
c/o First AME Church1522 14th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122
For further information, please contact: Vida Sneed at (206) 465-6752.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to apply for a First AME scholarship.
A. First AME scholarships are awarded only to active church members.
B. Successful applicants should:
1. Attend church or campus chapel worship regularly.
2. Be a member of First AME Church for at least 1 year at the time of application.
3. Participate in church or campus religious organizations, programs and/or activities as reflected in the
First AME Certificate of Participation.
4. Support First AME or campus ministry both financially and spiritually, Malachi 3:10
5. Participate and support First AME auxiliaries while home for the holidays (summer and Christmas breaks
6. Exhibit personal conduct worthy of the Lord’s calling.
7. Enter or return to a 4-year college/university or 2-year community college in the fall of 2020 as a full-
time student with a minimum of 12 credits.
8. Enter or return to a technical or vocational school in the fall of 2020 as a full-time student in a program
leading to a degree or certificate.
9. Enter or return to a school of divinity in the fall of 2020 and be enrolled in a degree program with a
minimum of 9 credits.
10. Enter or return to graduate school in the fall of 2020 and be enrolled on a full-time basis in a degree
11. Have a minimum 2.00 GPA (on a 4-point scale - undergraduates) at the time of application.
C. Scholarships can be awarded to an individual for no more than 5 years.
D. Study must be in a state/nationally accredited institution.
E. Scholarship funds will be released only with official proof of registration.
F. Awards for a school year that begins in the winter or other school period will be considered only by special request and if funds are
G. For 2020-2021, priority will be given first to entering or returning undergraduate college/vocational-technical school applicants.
H. Scholarships will not be awarded to previous recipients who did not matriculate for the 2019-2020 school year.
I. The Scholarship Application Packet must be complete and accurate. Incomplete applications will not be
accepted – NO EXCEPTIONS.
J. Any Scholarship Application Packet received after the deadline (Friday, June 12, 5:00 PM) will not be
accepted – NO EXCEPTIONS.